Cheers To The Top Vacation Cocktails #VacationCocktail
I mean it is a Friday and it's 5:00 somewhere. Plus it's a three day, official end of the summer, holiday weekend. So what better time then to share the Gadabout Gals beverages of choice while on vacation!
So belly up to our virtual bar (ours would be tiki) and we'll pour you a sip or two while we dream of vacation!
Drinks International once again shared the list for best-selling cocktails around the world. We will share the top 10 (well 11 since the 11th is on my list to try next year in Italy). Let's see if our favorites made rank at the top.
11. Aperol Spritz. Prosecco, Aperol, and soda. That sounds perfectly refreshing and I can't wait to try this in Italy next year overlooking the Amalfi Coast.
10. Mojito. Bacardi and Havana Club were the main rum choices for this classic, combined with mint, soda water, fresh lime juice, and sugar.
9. Espresso Martini. Made with vodka, freshly brewed espresso, coffee liqueur, and ice, it's an after-dinner favorite that is climbing up the charts.
8. Moscow Mule. Some vodka, lime, ginger beer, and soda, served in a cold copper mug that is almost as popular as the drink.
7. Manhattan. A simple classic, made with rye whiskey, sweet vermouth, two dashes of Angosturra, and ice, garnished with brandied cherries.
6. Margarita. While the frozen version is a popular holiday go-to, the classic recipe is made with tequila, fresh lime juice, and agave syrup.
This cocktail is Gadabout Gal Kelly's favorite vacation cocktail. She prefers that it be on the rocks with salt, not too sweet, more sour with lots of lime and if it's a jalapeño infused margarita all the better! We had some of the absolute best Margaritas ever in New Orleans at El Gato Negro in the French Quarter. Maybe it was their exclusive house tequila, Tocamba Azul!
5. Daiquiri. The most-ordered rum drink in the world in 2018, it's mostly made with lime juice, white rum, and sugar syrup, shaken and served.
4. Dry Martini. The more popular martini, which gained two places this year, is made with gin instead of vodka.
Being a lover of Hendrick's Gin, Gadabout Gal Michele's favorite vacation cocktail includes gin in some form or another - either a gin martini (like this fantastically fresh mango gin martini from Tipsy Tuna in Belize), or just a good old gin and diet tonic or soda and lots of lime. But now seeing the runner up most popular drink listed below, I'm definitely going to place this on my Italian vacation cocktail drink list - oh my!
3. Whiskey Sour. Up in the ranks from number 5 last year, the Whiskey Sour is made with bourbon, lemon juice, a teaspoon of sugar, and an optional egg white.
2. Negroni. Four years in a row as the runner-up, the Negroni is now a firm favorite. It's made with a third, a third, and a third of Campari, sweet vermouth, and gin.
Drum Roll please ....
1. Old Fashioned. The best-selling cocktail for the fourth year in a row! One good recipe: one sugar cube wetted with three dashes of Angostura bitters and a little soda, crushed, stirred with a large ice cube and two ounces of rye.
This top favorite is also Gadabout Gal Tiffany's favorite, even though she is counting calories. Because calories don't count on vacation, right!!
Now what was interesting to me was the the most Instagrammed cocktails while on vacation as collected by Bookit didn't necessarily match this list. I guess when a cocktail is so good you tend to drink it before taking a photograph of it.
So how about you? What's your favorite cocktail to enjoy while on vacation. Comment below we'd love to hear your suggestions.
Here's a photo of one of my Instagrammed vacation cocktails on the Caribbean in Belize. Nothing like a delicious tropical #rumpunch under a thatched roof on the beach between the palm trees! Cheers!